Stephens Valley Church enthusiastically embraces and proclaims the historic doctrines of grace as summarized in the Westminster Confession of Faith (with Proof Texts), the Larger and Shorter Catechisms, the Heidelberg Catechism, the Apostle’s Creed and the Nicene Creed.
In brief, SVC embraces the following:
- All men have sinned against the glory and majesty of God and are by nature “without God and without hope” in the world, “dead in trespasses and sins,” and therefore unable to believe the gospel apart from the work of the Holy Spirit.
- God has sovereignly chosen His people, without any foresight of faith on their part, entirely because of His mere free grace and love, to be redeemed by the atoning work of Jesus Christ, His only Son.
- All who repent of their sins and call upon the name of the Lord will be saved. There is no salvation apart from Jesus Christ, the mediator between God and man.
- Sinners who come to Christ are enabled to do so by the quickening, regenerating power of the Holy Spirit and will be preserved to the end at which time they will be presented faultless before the presence of His glory.
- Justification is by faith alone. By it sinners are declared righteous through the merit of Jesus Christ and equipped for deeds of love and mercy that will bring honor and glory to God.
- Salvation is by grace alone.
- Sanctification is the work of God’s Spirit in conforming redeemed sinners to the image and likeness of Jesus Christ.
- At death the souls of believers pass immediately into the presence of God while awaiting the resurrection of their bodies. The souls of unbelievers are eternally separated from God unto condemnation.
- Jesus Christ will return to earth, bodily, visibly, at a time unknown to man, to consummate His kingdom and usher in the new heavens and the new earth.
- All Scripture is the inspired, inerrant word of God, the only infallible rule of faith and practice.